MSc Advanced Computer Graphics, 120 credits
Degree: Master of Science with a major in Media Technology and Engineering.
Advanced computer graphics has a vital role in scientific research as well as in the commercial development of computer games, motion picture special effects and visualisation. This master's programme offers an in-depth understanding of the state-of-the-art techniques underlying high performance computer graphics with focus on programming, mathematical aspects and artistic content.
The programme provides a technical base in advanced computer graphics techniques through its innovative and challenging course set. The final stage of the programme is designed to equip students for projects in specific application areas related to gaming, film special effects, virtual reality and visualisation. Stimulating courses are offered on topics such as the design and programming of computer games, global illumination and rendering, virtual reality techniques, visual special effect techniques and scientific visualisation.
The first three semesters of the programme are oriented toward classroom and laboratory work, with course examinations usually based on laboratory work, project work and/or written examinations. The fourth semester comprises an individual project and thereafter a public defence of the degree project. The programme's affiliation with the graphics industry has created interesting opportunities for students to carry out their degree project on-site at companies in fields such as special effects. Stimulating opportunities for the final project are also offered by several ongoing research projects in areas such as medical imaging, augmented reality, virtual reality environments and visual user interfaces.
The programme is firmly anchored in the nationally and internationally recognised research conducted in the areas of visualisation and computer vision at Linköping University. Typical employment options for graduates include the film special effects industry, game development, virtual reality projects and visualisation in fields such as medicine, business, and the social sciences. Students are also well prepared for continued studies towards a PhD degree.
Welcome to Linköping University!
Applicants are expected to have:
- a Bachelor’s degree with a major in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, mathematics, chemistry or physics or equivalent.
- the bachelor should include Calculus, Algebra, Mathematical Statistics, Discrete Mathematics and Computer Programming.
The specific requirements may be assessed as not fulfilled if:
- the average grade is in the lower third of the grading scale used in the country where the degree was awarded (i.e. grades have to be average/pass level or above, the equivalent to the Swedish grade "Godkänd")
- the degree does not qualify for admission to equivalent master's programmes in the country where the degree is awarded.
Application period opens october 2013
Go to universityadmissions.se
- Citizens from within the EU/EEA and Switzerland: No tuition fees
- All others: 140,000 SEK (approx. 20,000 USD/ 15,000 Euro) per academic year
+46 11 36 33 29
getting the competitive edge
- The Road to Hollywood Goes Through Norrköping
- Former student starts own company in Norrköping
- Norrköping Visualization Center
Yes please, I would like to stay informed. Please send me regular updates, news and developments from the programme.
Last updated: 2013-05-15