Application and Preparations
Exchange students are selected by their home universities. For information about exchange programmes, agreements, admissions, and applications, please contact the international studies coordinator at your own university.
If you are selected for an exchange, make sure that you have sufficient knowledge of English, both written and oral, to take part in the courses that are taught in English. See information on your faculty's application form or web page of what documentation is needed.
When applying for a study semester at Linköping University you can also apply for accommodation and a beginner's course in Swedish.
As an Exchange Student you do not pay any tuition fee.
Courses are intended for exchange students who have completed at least one year of studies (two years of studies for students applying to the Institute of Technology) at their home university. Please note that exchange students cannot normally combine courses and study opportunities to obtain a final degree at Linköping University.
When cooperation agreements are made by subject area, department or faculty, learning agreements can only be made within the faculty concerned.
To search for courses, please choose the faculty with which your home university has signed an agreement. Linköping university has four faculties:
- Faculty of Arts and Sciences
- Faculty of Educational Sciences
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Institute of Technology
When you have been selected by your home university, the application procedure will be as follows:
- Search for courses offered by the faculty with which your home university has signed an agreement.
- Check the specific requirements for each course that you want to study and make sure that you are eligible for all courses that you select.
- Fill out the proper faculty application form on-line, which includes desired courses and the period of time for your stay at Linköping University. In your application form you must also add information about on-going courses which are NOT included in your transcript of records.
- If you want to apply for accommodation through Linköping University make sure to cross that box on the application form.
- Submit the form.
- Print out the completed application form.
- Make sure you have your coordinator’s signature on the print-out.
- Send your application form together with your transcript of records before the deadline.
- Faculty of Arts and Sciences (The application for spring 2015 is now closed. For late applications, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Faculty of Educational Sciences (Only for nominated Teaching Practice students)
- Faculty of Health Sciences. Applications for 2015/2016 will open on March 2nd.
- Institute of Technology
Application deadline is 15 April for courses starting in August/September and 15 October for courses starting in January.
Decisions on admission will be taken one month or more after the application deadline. After that, letters of admission with all additional information will be sent out.
You will receive a Learning Agreement together with your Letter of Admission. Make sure your Learning Agreement is signed and stamped by the coordinators at your home university and remember to bring it with you to Linköping University if you have not already sent it in.
Within the first two weeks of the semester, complete the Learning Agreement correctly and hand it to your International Faculty Coordinator.
Travel Arrangements, Arrival & Peer student
Make your travel arrangements. Make sure you arrive in time for the Orientation Programme as this is where you will receive important information about your studies and Linköping University. If you have been assigned accommodation through Linköping University make your arrangements so that you arrive during office hours if you want to pick up the key for your accommodation. If you arrive outside office hours, you will have to arrange for accommodation at a hotel or youth hostel for the first night. Inform the Exchange Student Coordinators of the date of your arrival. Mail address: email@example.com
If you are interested in having a peer student, a Swedish student that can introduce you to the Swedish culture and student life at LiU and also help you sometimes with practical matters you have the possibility to sign up in the Peer Programe at Linköping University. It is good you sign up before your arrival. Students at the Faculty of Health Sciences will be assigned a peer student through the faculty, but can of course also sign up for the Peer Programme.
Last updated: 2015-01-27